The Theory Behind Employee Engagement & Recognition in Healthcare
Staff recognition should be a key component of your healthcare employee morale, engagement, retention and recruitment efforts. The importance of recognition in healthcare communities is supported by decades of research. Nate Hamme, President of Ceca Foundation, has provided educational and engaging presentations to healthcare professionals that help them both understand the problem and identify actionable solutions for addressing the issue of turnover and disengagement in healthcare. Watch this recorded presentation below he gave to the Ohio Health Care Association during the COVID-19 pandemic last year.
Recognition to Reduce Turnover
Staff turnover, particularly among direct care providers, is a top concern for healthcare executives and leadership. Research abounds with evidence to support the use of peer-to-peer recognition programs as a means of improving employee engagement, and ultimately, the patient experience.
Click on one of the slides below to view an enlarged version.
Resources on Employee Engagement & Recognition
Below are several publications we have cultivated over the years from prominent sources in the industry that provide valuable research and information on the importance of employee engagement and recognition in the workplace.
- “Building a High Performance Workforce,” Press Ganey, 2016
- “Control, Opportunity & Leadership,” Psychometrics Canada Ltd., 2015
- “Culture Wins By Getting the Most Out of People,” Gallup, July 2018
- “Driving Stronger Performance Through Employee Recognition,” SHRM/Globoforce, Spring 2013
- “Employee Engagement Report,” Aon, 2018
- “Improving Lives by Delivering Solutions for Quality Care,” American Health Care Association, 2014
- “National Healthcare Retention & RN Staffing Report,” Nursing Solutions, Inc., 2016
- “State of the American Workplace: Employee Engagement Insights for U.S. Business Leaders,” Gallup, 2018
- “The Business Impact of Employee Recognition,” SHRM/Globoforce, Fall 2012
- “The Growing Influence of Employee Recognition,” Workforce MoodTracker, Spring 2012
- “The Power of Employee Recognition,” Aberdeen Group, November 2013
- “Trends in Employee Recognition,” A Report by WorldatWork, Underwritten by ITA Group, 2017